
Samuel is ready to eat! Tonight he had zucchini, squash and carrots!

These women were walking in front of me on the street- pretty impressive! I'm getting used to seeing large bundles or boxes being carried on the head. Today at the market a lady was carrying raddishes on her head and they were sticking out- it looked like some kind of weird wig.

This was another odd Guatemalan moment. I was sitting in the square feeding Samuel and there were 10+ buses of Asian military men. I'm not sure where they were from, but they weren't speaking English or Spanish! Most of them were in the white outfits- it was very random! While in the square I also got approached by several women who were selling things- pretty normal. Two of them asked me if Samuel was my baby. I said yes- didn't want to explain. One of them said "Oh, your husband must be Guatemalan." I said, "No, but he has darker features." Not exactly a lie... Jimmy's hair is darker than mine! :) I have no problem saying that we are adopting, but I don't like the question "Is he yours?" Yes, he's ours- that doesn't change whether he's adopted or not! I know they are just curious- and these women were very nice. The Guatemalans all comment that he is so big for his age- which is comical since he's smaller than my friends' babies in the States who are the same age. I guess he is big for a Guatemalan!
Besides soaking in some of the Guatemalan culture and Spanish language, I've also enjoyed soaking in some British culture from my roomie, Angie. I've learned all sorts of new terms... such as "That's brilliant!" or "going to the chemist" (pharmacist) or buying some "lovely carrots." She is amused by the amount of peanut butter and milk we consume. It's great!
Here's another little video clip- not great quality. It's a quick snapshot of what dinner is like around here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YxCd8XNQ1I There are five kids, four moms and one dad... makes for a fun dinner time. Tonight was pretty calm- no spills and minimal crying!
3 comments:
Dinner time looks fun! You just gotta love the questions you get. It will be worse in the states! You'll get used to it and some will just make you want to laugh! Good answer though!
Felicia
Just for kicks, you should carry a pack of diapers on your head with baby on your front from the Bodagona to home. I might have done that once or twice... just trying to fit it...
My goodness, dinner looks like a good time! I can't wait until the kids figure out that they outnumber the adults and have food fights!!!! Keep the camera handy, I'm sure it won't be long. :)
Great answer to the question being asked. You bet Samuel is your child, as you said before, "God had him picked out for you and Jimmy before he was even born."
I continue to pray for a speedy process, I keep expecting to see you walk through my door for lunch. We miss you!
Love, Janelle
Post a Comment