Monday, April 28, 2008

A few more pictures!

The internet is up and running again thankfully, so here are a few more pictures from the last couple of days.

The picture below is the Herdon's who went to Truman State with Jimmy and me. They are in Antigua for a couple of weeks while their adoption of their little girl, Miranda, finishes. I am so impressed with Michele for braving Antigua with Miranda and her two boys!

This was a day at the pool with Erick. Samuel thinks Erick is pretty cool. Erick has taught him to eat grass and dirt and other "big kid" tricks.


Samuel and I near the fountain in our neighborhood :).
Last week we found out that PGN (the court that we should be entering in the next couple of weeks) has officially stopped signing off on adoption cases temporarily while there is a change in leadership. We are hoping that the delay will be short and things are looking up, but there have been rumors flying about what could happen. We are confident that things will continue to move as soon as the dust settles from the leadership change.

Samuel is doing well. The only issue we're having is getting him to sleep in his pack'nplay/crib instead in bed with me. He did really well until about a week ago when he started screaming when I'd put him down in the crib. I know you're supposed to let them cry it out, but I haven't been very good at that yet. Any advice from you "seasoned" moms would be good :). I'm reading The Baby Whisperer (thanks Nicole, it's your book... hope it's ok I have it in Guatemala!) which is making me think I need to just let him cryit out- wow- that's tough!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those pics with Erick are classic...so cool that they get to be friends and hang out!

I had my friend Jon in this past weekend and I have known him since the 2nd grade and I was thinking how cool it is that we have been friends all of these years. Hopefully it will be the same way with Erick

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Emily Kyle,
I was going to tell you how proud I was of you for not being a paranoid mother and making samuel wear a t-shirt in the sun (again) lol. But as I can see in the pictures, he's clearly sitting in the shade! haha. You are so funny!
Secondly, Let him cry it out. Or just bring him back here and i'll show him how to be tough!
Love you,
Tiffany

Greg and Felicia Huff said...

Some adoption books are against letting an adopted child cry it out (for obvious reasons). Books on children who are not adopted say cry it out. It basically comes down to what you feel is right. I (obviously) did not let my kids cry it out and am quite happy with my decision. This is your decision and you will make the right one for you. Don't worry about what everyone else suggests. :)

Felicia

Amie Williams said...

We could never do cry it out either. I guess we still could do it with Luke but we just opt for rocking him and putting him in bed asleep. This is against all of the books that I've read, but I just couldn't do cry it out. I'm a wimp!
Amie

Anonymous said...

I love his belly!

-Blair

Anonymous said...

I love the pics! For advice about sleeping, hmmm I would just say to set small goals at first for you and Samuel. Maybe for the first few days let him cry for 5 minutes, then go and comfort him, but put him back down. Then after a few days lengthen the time. It really is all a personal thing. The best book I've read is Baby Wise. We've followed the schedule and strategies and they've worked great! Bella has been a great sleeper from the beginning. I think it's harder when you're in the same room as he is and you can't turn the baby monitor down. haha You are a wonderful mom...trust your instincts.

Anonymous said...

Emily,
What a wonderful chance you have of being able to focus on Samuel alone. I know you miss your family but this is such a gift to be with Samuel and create such a bond. I promise you Samuel will not be scared if you rock him to sleep. You will have to develope a whole new bedtime routine when you guys get home. His own room, time with dad, whole new every thing. Don't worry about this stuff. Your number one job is to make this little guy feel safe and secure. To teach him to know and love the Father. Where would you be if He did't hold you when your crying?
Can't wait to see you both. I love reading your blog.
Joyce Smith

Chris and Lindsey Wheeler said...

I love these pictures!! Chris and I are praying about me going to foster in Antigua in a month. I would LOVE to meet you if it happens!!!!