Sunday, March 14, 2010

Precious


So we watched the movie, Precious, this weekend. We actually started it last night and I finished it today. Typically I'm a movie wimp- too much language, violence, suspense and I'm done. My poor husband doesn't get to see many "guy" movies with me. I know this sounds like a high-maintenace girl excuse, but I am pretty sensitive- it doesn't take much and I can't sleep or am super anxious- it's like my brain doesn't process that it's just a movie. So I sort of surprised myself when I wanted to finish the movie today despite the prevalence of strong language and physical/sexual abuse. Part of the draw was the connection between the movie and some of the issues we discussed in our foster parent classes. Not going to lie- my stomach is still in knots from the movie, but I'd recommend it. It's a reminder of the incredible challenges people have endured and overcome- and also how important it is to not be judgemental- to get to know people's stories. Wow.

2 comments:

The Busters said...

I am also a major movie WIMP and whenever I go out of town my husband makes plans to rent all the "violent" movies that I refused to see. :) But I do want to see the movie, Precious, as I read the book it is based on over Thanksgiving break. Talk about a wake up call to be reminded of all the things I have to be thankful for. I like what you said about withholding judgement! very true!

erin said...

I've been wanting to see it so bad! Totally getting it this week sometime now.