Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Self-combusting tacos and some more thoughts on foster care...

I came home last night to a chilly house with a faint smell of smoke. Jimmy calmly asked me how my classes went and when I mentioned the temperature he offhandedly said, "Oh yeah, I opened the windows because I set the toaster oven on fire." Oops. He wasn't kidding either. Apparently taco shells can self-combust when left at high temperatures, which can lead to cabinent doors having smoke damage. Lesson learned!

Last week I shared about making a decision about fostering two children or if that would be too much right now. I've continued to pray/think about it in case we get another two child placement call. I know that God only calls us to give what we have. But I'm also convicted that sometimes I go to God and say "Take all that I am, all that I have." and I hand him a fist sized portion of who I am and what I have. I know He accepts it and loves me regardless, but I think I might be holding out on Him. :) A friend of ours shared with us about his friend who had fostered around 30 kids. This man said that people want to act like what he has done is heroic or put him on a pedastal instead of considering that maybe they should do the same. Like I've said before, I'm not saying everyone should foster, but I do think God desires us to know what He's called us to and to do whatever that is without holding back. Then I read this post and was feeling pretty silly for worrying about caring for TWO! It's long, but read it!

Speaking of foster care... apparently there are carseats that can fit three abreast in a mid-size car! Thanks to my friend, Nicole(who is an amazing source of information in all things kid related!), I found the Radian 65SL. They are pricey, but I guess that is what the foster care stipend is there for! I'm on the hunt for a used one on Craig's List, but if anyone has other suggestions (other than buying a new car- remember, I'm married to Dave Ramsey, Jr.), let me know!

1 comment:

Johnsons said...

Haha, I did the exact same thing a couple weeks ago twice with taco shells in the toaster oven! The first time I thought I just toasted them too long... just short of a major kitchen fire!