Thursday, October 16, 2008

And the "fun" continues...

God has a sense of humor. There is no doubt about that. This week I keep asking myself "Are you kidding me?" I have been on the road every day this week. Monday was Jalapa for the birth certificate and Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday I've been in Guat. City to try to get the passport done. Normally this is a quick task - 30 minutes. Of course, it has not been that easy for us!

Tuesday we arrived at 11 to meet my lawyer. She arrived at 1:40 and wasn't paperwork ready. At 2:00 we finally went into the passport office and found out we have an issue with the paperwork. At 3:00, we headed back to Antigua and my lawyer assured me that she'd have things fixed for Wednesday. Wednesday was about a repeat of Tuesday. Lawyer said she'd file a new POA (power of attorney) paper to rectify things and we could get the passport today. So today we arrive at the passport office, wait an hour to get a phone call from the lawyer. Shocker- the paper she needed to register, hadn't been registered yet.

Now the tricky part is that you have to get the passport done in order to submit documents to the US embassy and do the final DNA test. The US embassy only allows you to submit paperwork from 1-1:30 Monday-Thursdays (very generous of them, I think!). Since my lawyer was running so late, we would not have been able to get in to the embassy. Tomorrow the embassy doesn't accept paperwork and Monday is a holiday (the US embassy observes US and Guatemalan holidays- again, must be rough!). All this to say, we are scheduled to go back to the city on Tuesday to attempt to get his passport, go to the embassy and do the final DNA test all in one day. So I've had 7 trips to the city in the past two weeks and Tuesday will make trip #8! If all goes well, we still have a shot at being home the first week of November. Please pray that my lawyer shows up on time (10 AM) on Tuesday and that all goes well!

Oh- I almost forgot the best part. I woke up yesterday really sick- some serious Montezuma's revenge. My housemate Angie had it the day before. Lee Anne agreed to ride to town with me because I was so afraid I would get sick during the day. I gradually felt better, but apparently passed the bug to Lee Anne, as she did an amazing job of getting sick in the parking garage! Our 4th housemate, Amy, spent the night sleeping next to the toilet.

Like I said... the "fun" continues....

13 comments:

Amie Williams said...

Oh man, going through all of that and getting sick! What a week. Just keep on that lawyer, eventually she's going to get sick of you and get her stuff done!!!
Amie

Kimberly said...

Wow...I am so sorry that things have been so challenging! I wish there was something I could do to help, but it sounds like if I was there I would just be hanging out in the bathroom with the rest of you guys! I hope you all feel better SOON! And, I hope things goes smoothly on Tuesday. Aeson and I will say a prayer for you!

Linda said...

Hi Armstrong's! We will be praying for you and hope next week gets you closer! It is definitely a hard wait when you know you are so close and yet can't get there. I know our 2nd DNA seemed to take forever to get done. It really will happen though... pack or organize now for what you want to take home, etc.
We have been home less than 2 weeks and are on the learning curve with 2 kiddos under 3 yrs old. Hope everyone in the house is feeling better!
Linda with Rosalia (at Rachel Ann's party)

Anonymous said...

Isn't Emily funny! :)

Let me assure all of you - she wasn't this funny when I first married her :)

Jimmy
(the husband 1700 miles away who can do nada to help)

Anonymous said...

wow i guess the saying what doesn't kill you will make you stronger applies to your week. i had read about the stomach thing on Lee Annes' earlier today. Any way you can tell your attorney 2 hours earlier than the time you need? I hope and pray she shows up on time. We never know what being a parent is going to requre do we?
You're doing great!

Greg and Felicia Huff said...

Man... I was exhausted just reading your e-mail! You poor thing. BUT you WILL be home the first part of November and for Thanksgiving! I will pray for you all!!! :)

Felicia

Kyle said...

Miss Em,
I wish I could be there with you. I so want to wrap my arms around you. I am so sorry for these delays. Hang in there, Em, just a bit longer. You are doing a great job! Soon Jim will be there and you will all be heading home!
I love you very much,
Mom

AiMeE jOnEs ;) said...

Hang in there! You have such a good attitude about it all. You are going through so much. God has his reasons for the trails we face. "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint," Isaiah 41:31 I love you! Hang in there! I can't wait to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the old movie, Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Maybe you could write a sequel relevant to Guatemala. These stories will be great to repeat when Samuel gets married. You will have alot of fun telling them and he will sigh deeply. Keep up the great work, Emily. You will be home soon!
Love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Maybe, you should have gotten sick on the lawyer and said that all this waiting is physically making you sick! :) I'm sure that would have sped up the paperwork. Hang in there, we are anxious to have you back home, but of course our timing and God's don't always coordinate. Isn't that grand!!! Let's hope and pray for a speedy paperwork process and for your house to be puke free. :)

I miss you!
Janelle

Johnsons said...

Oh Em, What a crazy week. You have done a beautiful job handling it all! Remember that the Lord will not give us more than we can handle! We will be praying for Tuesday to be the day!!! Love you and miss you!

Joann and KC said...

You're getting there, you are,you are!! We feel hopeful and excited...also worn out for what you are going through. Bottom line is that Samuel is worth it all and a gift from the Hand of God. Now, we're just praying for some miracles for cutting through red tape for all of you. "As for God, His way is perfect." Blessings and prayers

Anonymous said...

Even though you've had a horrible week, you always seem to turn it into something funny. It's good that you're being sort of optimistic! I have a feeling things will turn around and all of this sickness, waiting, and being sick will pay off! I just know it.