Monday, October 13, 2008

He's an Armstrong!




It's official- we have Samuel's birth certificate! The staff at the RENAP office in Jalapa were refreshingly friendly and it didn't take long to get things done. Almost two months to the day of getting out of PGN, we have a birth certificate! Thank You, Lord!


Today I got up at 4:30 and headed out about an hour later for Jalapa. Samuel stayed home with the sitter. Jalapa is quite a drive. We passed several "derrumbes" (mudslide/rockslides) along the road. I was so thankful it wasn't raining today as the road would have been pretty treacherous in some parts. It was hilly, curvy and lush. We saw lots of farms and cattle. Samuel's birthmom is actually from a small town outside of Jalapa. We saw the road sign for her town pointing down a little dirt road (see below :)). Due to rain and mudslides, we were told it would take another hour to get there, so we didn't go.


Apparently people from Jalapa are known for being "latino" (not Mayan- didn't see any of the traditional Mayan dress). Apparently they are also known for being tough. Mayra said you don't want to make someone from Jalapa mad. Many of the men had on cowboy hats and pistols in the RENAP office. Guess they don't have much of a law against carrying weapons. When we headed out of town, we passed a mom with her little boy walking on the road.... the mom was carrying a machete that had to be 3 feet long. I'm thinking I wouldn't mess with her!


We are excited for the progress, but ask for prayers that we can get his passport and 2nd DNA test done this week. Then we will be so close to the end! I also ask for prayers for many of our friends whose cases are stuck in PGN right now. We know of 2 or 3 families (including the Whitworth's and the Embrey's second girl, Caterin) whose cases are signed and approved to get out of PGN, but due to "computers being down", the cases haven't left PGN yet. This is the 3rd week of the "computer issues". We are starting to wonder what is going on! We've emailed the embassy without a lot of results. If you are so inclined to write the US embassy here in Guatemala, here are some email addresses:
Adoptguatemala@state.gov and Guatemala.adoptions@dhs.gov . You get an auto-reply, but we're hoping if we keep bombarding them, the embassy will do something to put some pressure on PGN to do their job. Right now the embassy just says "we can't interfere". Thanks for your support and happy Monday!

28 comments:

Greg and Felicia Huff said...

YIPEE!!! I am so completely happy for you!!!! This is WONDERFUL!!! It won't be much longer, Emily!!!! Praise God!

Felicia

Johnsons said...

Yahoo! I'm so excited for this great news! What a relief! Bella is so excited to meet Samuel in person and of course so am I!!!

The Heinrichs said...

WHOO HOO!!! So excited for you guys! Praying you are home for Halloween!!! What a fun Holiday to start life at home!

Mrs. Nicole Gilbert said...

What a great title! You've always known he's an Armstrong but I bet that it feels so amazing to see it on his birth certificate. Here's hoping for continued speedy progress...we'd love to see you in KC soon!
Love ya!
Nicole

Anonymous said...

YAYYYY!!! I'm SO happy for you!! I prayed for you yesterday that this would happen! I hope the rest of the week goes good and I also hope you get the DNA test completed!!! : )

Unknown said...

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH x 72,000,000,000,000,000,000!!!!!!!!! Samuel Edgar Armstrong! Praise the LORD!!!!!! Love you guys!

-Blair

p.s. Jimmy my exclamation points are required in the case!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

em just wanted to say congrats to you guys. I am glad I did not have to come back down their and raise hell. love you guys Billy

Anonymous said...

Emy,
Congrats! What exciting news. Samuel Armstrong has a great ring to it. I will keep you in my prayers.

Love,
Aunt Peggy

Kyle said...

"He's an Armstrong!" What sweet, sweet music that is to our ears! We are celebrating with you and Jimmy and thanking God for this. Trusting you will rest well tonight.
We are so very excited!
We love you very much,
Dad and Mom

Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord! We are so excited and will be praying that you're home super soon. God is so good! Love you!

Angie

erin said...

Yay! The Duggins are rejoicing! Now that he is an Armstrong is he eating pizza, and mtn. dew mixed with grape juice? Hee Hee. So excited for you!

AiMeE jOnEs ;) said...

Yeah! When I read this post I was apparently smiling really big because my roomate was laughing at me and wanted to know what in the world I was reading. haha That is just so exciting! I will continue to pray. God is so good! I prayed last night and this morning for people to be nice and show you God's love and that things would be speedy. God is so amazing how he answers prayers!!! And that just makes me uneasy that everyone has rifles there. I am picturing you caring one and that is just a wierd picture. lol

Anonymous said...

This is music to my ears! What a wonderful way to start the week. I am so excited and relieved that all went well today. I thought about all of you and prayed for safety and wisdom many times today. I think I woke up around 4 am also, Emily. I'm so glad you are safe and now have 2 Armstrong men in your home.

Love,
Grandma Mary

dawn said...

Hooray!!!!!!!!!! I am thrilled to hear that Samuel is an Armstrong!!!!!!!! Sounds like a great trip and a lot more information for you. Praying that you will get passport and DNA completed this week. You are so close! Can't wait until you both are here. Cindy really needs to see someone familiar and play with Samuelito!! Dawn

Amie Williams said...

That is so great! We can't wait until he's really home! I think that along with the pizza and Mountin Dew he should be eating some triple fudge brownie ice cream too!
Amie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so excited to hang out with Samuel and Erick (and you and Lee Anne of course)!

We'll continue praying!

Lauren Sterling

Jenn Beyer Talton said...

YES!!!! So excited for you!! love you lots!

Anonymous said...

Great news! So happy for the Beyer/Armstrong families! I do believe you'll be eating turkey in MO on a very thankful Thanksgiving day. :-)

nathanartz said...

Yea, praise God! I am so excited for you two. I have to admit that I cried when I read that post, what a loser I am, but I am so happy for you:)
I will keep praying you will be home soon and things will move with lightening speed!
Super news!
Katie

Renee said...

What wonderful news!!!! I am so very happy for you all....Samuel is one lucky little boy to have you for parents. :) Can't wait until your first visit to Blue Springs High School with Samuel in tow!! Hope the rest of the process is speedy - we'd love to see Samuel in a Halloween costume!
Hugs, Renee

Anonymous said...

what an answer to my prayer for your monday. I'm so happy for you to get his birth certificate! Now you can see the light at the end of the waiting tunnel!

Anonymous said...

Yaaahoooo!!!! That is so exciting!! We can't wait to see/meet you all!!!

Congrats, love you guys!
Janelle

Anonymous said...

YEAHQ!!!! This is sooo exciting. We are so excited to actual meet Samuel face to face!! This is sooo awesome.

Love ya,
Parker

Lindsey said...

OH MY GOODNESS........YEAH!!!!!!!!! I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!! I miss you guys so, so much!!! Give Samuelito a big hug from us.

Love y'all!!!
Lindsey

Ally Massey said...

Emily

Samuel Armstrong....may that name be a badge of honor that he proudly displays as he grows up. May he come to realize that it was God's plan all along that he would be an Armstrong. May you see lots of ways that God himself knit your family together in a unique and amazingly priceless way. I find myself seeing and saying all that time that Myer is a Massey through and through. It comes to me in her mannerisms, her love of music, her attitude...God wove her life to perfectly fit into us. Praying that you too see Samuel fitting in a divine and awesome way, as you do...give thanks to an amazing Creator God who is in the business of putting families together.

Happy Armstrong Day...little Samuel
ally

Kimberly said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy for you guys! YEAY!!!!!!

Ally Massey said...

I think it's so great that samuel get's to come here and get a taste of life from a different point of view. We pray for you every day, i hope samuel gets a gourmet treat (here in America)

Yours truly,
---Baylor---

p.s. in case your confused, this is Ally's daughter.

Anonymous said...

Praise God! I knew he would take care of it. i screamed with so much joy my dog just ran away from me. I love you and I am so happy for you and Jimmy. I can not wait for you and Samuel to be back.

love you!
E2