Tuesday, June 10, 2008

How to get stared at in Guatemala...

Today was a quiet day for us so around 3:30 I decided to venture out with Lee Anne and Erick. We thought the rain had let up... wow, were we wrong. We made it to McDonalds (they have a good play area) to hang out for a bit and the rain started absolutely pouring. Thirty minutes later it showed no signs of stopping, so I loaded Samuel in the stroller and put the neon yellow rain shield on the stroller. I'm going to have to take a picture so you can really appreciate how obnoxious it is - bright yellow with this nice "window" so Samuel can be seen and see out. I think I would get laughed at in the States, but here, we were like a freak show- free entertainment for the Guatemalans. I haven't gotten so many stares and laughs in our 3 months as we did in the 15 minute walk home today. One little boy pointed and said "El nene lleva proteccion" (the little baby is wearing protection) before giggling to with his mom. I have to say, though, that Samuel made it home warm and dry, whereas I was the opposite. I may have to invest in a coordinating neon yellow poncho just for fun!
We did manage to buy a mosquito net for Samuel's bed during our rainy outing. We have "screens" in our windows, but the mosquitos can still fly through them, so they don't help much. My sweet housemate, Angie, doesn't like to kill bugs, so she practices "catch and release" with the mosquitos. I, on the other hand, have started to relish any opportunity to squash any mosquito that gets near us. Ah, just another joy of rainy season!

Random picture of Samuel trying to escape the carrier...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're going to have to post a photo of that neon shield thing! And, you should definetly get a matching,neon poncho to match! ha! This post was too funny!! I loved it!
-Brandi :)

Greg and Felicia Huff said...

That is so funny! I can just imagine the looks. Just think... you gave someone a story to tell when they got home! :) See you in a couple of days! :)