Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Weekly Outing




We continue to try one "outing" or event each week so we don't start to feel the 9 square blocks of Antigua closing in on us :). This week my housemate Angie organized a cooking class for us at her Spanish school for myself and four other moms. The class included some "nineras" who watched our babies in the adjoining room while we cooked. We made tamalitos, chuchitos and atole (drink). The class was supposed to be from 1-3, but in true Guatemalan style, we didn't start until closer to 2 and didn't leave until almost 5. It was a great afternoon and if I can find banana leaves or dried corn husks at home, I may try to make them again!

Samuel is doing well. He's as happy as ever and has a few new "tricks". He has started to "walk"- meaning I hold his hands and he takes steps. He just really figured it out yesterday and has been enjoying doing laps around the house. He is not interested in crawling yet, but we're spending lots of time trying. He gets up on his hands and knees and has started to rock a bit, so I think he's getting closer. He also is in love with his pointer finger- not sure if he really knows he's pointing or just practicing for his 1st birthday, but he holds up his pointer finger proudly a lot. He's eating lots and has gotten really good at getting finger food to his mouth. Since he still only has 2 teeth, he isn't self-feeding much except banana, puffs, cheerios and cracker bits. Everyone down here says he is "grande", but I'm pretty sure he's smaller than all of his American 10 month friends. He'll be 10 months on the 21st. Can't believe it!

The picture below is of Samuel in his new 12 month PJs- thanks Gramma Beyer.

3 comments:

Greg and Felicia Huff said...

I wish I could have been there to try the food! I bet all of you had a great time! I miss you guys! Hey... if Angie has a website, send me the link. I'd love to have her e-mail as well. Tell Lee Anne, Angie, Kimberly and the rest of the folks down there "hello".

Felicia

Brian and Nicole said...

Hey girl-
How fun walking can be. I just checked out www.babyblues.com after I read your post, go check it out for June 3 it made me think of you! I hope you guys are doing well!

Nicole

Kyle said...

Your outing sounded and looked really neat! Once you are home, you should plan to make the meal for a family gathering. That would be fun!
Loved hearing about Samuel's new tricks! Very proud of him...and you! Loved his PJ picture! Really, I love any picture of Samuel! :)
Love,
Mom