Thursday, June 17, 2010

SAVE THE DATE!

As you know, Guatemala continues to have a special place in our heart! We returned there last fall (and plan to again this year) to partner with Kairos Christian School. I've talked about the school before... but just in case... it's a school for impoverished children and is run by an incredible Guatemalan family that we have come to know and love. They do an amazing job running the school and we want to help them raise funds. This fall, we are having a fundraiser for the school! We're having a dinner and auction. Mayra Garcia will be visiting from Guatemala to share about the school's progress and needs.

I'm sharing this NOW for two reasons! First of all, we'd love people to mark the calendars now and join us for the fundraiser on Friday, November 19, 2010. Second of all, we're recruiting people to help us with donations for auction items. If you've never participated in a silent auction, here are some items that I've seen donated before:
1) Homemade cards/stationary sets
2) Handmade jewelry
3) Theme baskets (i.e. "game night" with board games, snacks, "night on the town" with gift certificates to dinner/movies, "scrapbooking" with supplies, "spa day", "baby", etc.)
4) Tickets to Royals, Chiefs, etc. games
5) Services (i.e. pedicure, haircut, cake making, catering, lessons, photography)
6) "Big ticket" items (i.e. week at a condo, time share, etc)--> These would be part of a "live" auction.
7) Artwork / home decor
8) Mary Kay/Avon/etc. items
8) Christmas decorations - Since this auction will be just before the holidays, we are also looking for people to decorate and donate some Christmas decorations (trees of any size, wreaths, ornaments, etc.).

If anyone out there would be interested in donating an item/service for the auction, please let me know and when the time gets closer, I'll be in touch with more details. Our committee is starting early to gather donation commitments.

I'm so excited about this opportunity to bless some amazing children and families in Guatemala!

PS I went to court on Wednesday for Baby Girl. Family Court has to be a better place for people watching than the airport. Just sitting in the waiting area is an experience. Sounds like she will be with us another month or so. People keep asking me "Aren't you attached?" Duh. BUT, the more I interact with her parents, the easier it is getting to be ok with her going home. This is NOT always the case- I know lots of foster kiddos get sent home and there are still so many concerns with their home/parents. We are going to miss her like crazy, but I am going to enjoy sleeping through the night again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I could probably round up some auction items for you. Seth could get a gift card or maybe more if you have a form (nonprofit something) filled out. I am sure that my mom would donate some Mary Kay.
It's about time that we should get together to catch up. Miss you.
-Lindsey