Thursday, January 29, 2009

My weekly check in...

Some random news from our place....

Samuel's doing well despite having SIX teeth coming in at once. We started a Kindermusik (why is it spelled with a K? It bothers me!) class this week. All I can say is that it has confirmed that my calling in life is not to teach preschoolers. The teacher actually said several times "Please tell your feet to walk!" Who says that with a straight face? I was trying not to laugh through the class and Samuel was eating it up! He loved the cheesiness, so, yes, we'll be going back even if it involves singing about a dog while rolling on the floor.


We've had a couple of fun family happenings. My sweet cousin, Jenn, got engaged! We're really excited for her! My brother and his WIFE got their wedding pics back and they are very fun. Here's the webpage for anyone interested: http://www.versluisphoto.com/. I'm not sure if this is legal or not, but here's one pic that Blair sent out:
And here's Samuel in his new shirt courtesy of Aunt Blair!

Not much else to report- just taught my third week of class at the community college. It is so EASY compared to high school- no attendance, no discipline issues and the motivation level is so high! Don't get me wrong, I love high school students, but this community college stuff is great! We're praying about what to do next fall. Part of me would love to be back at my old job/school, but the thought of working full time and leaving Samuel just kills me. I know that so many moms deal with this dilemma, but I now understand it. Part time would be ideal, but isn't easy to come by! I should be good at waiting on the Lord and His plans after all of the waiting in Guatemala, but it still is a challenge to be patient!

Have a great weekend!

9 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hey there! Samuel is getting so big! I can't wait to see him again. I'm thinking I'll be heading to KC when the dossier is complete. So maybe 2 months? Maybe we'll also get a break in this terrible cold by then. I'm glad your class is going well. I know what you mean about going back to work. I finally found a Spanish sitter for Aes 2 days a week and that is working out perfectly!!! I would hate to do anything more, but some weeks would also love more help. It is such a balance!

Tim said...

It's spelled with a 'K' because it is German (loosely) for Children Music. I see the Spanish teachers must not have gotten along with the Spanish teachers! j/k
Tim

Katie said...

I have a very good friend that teaches kindergarten, and she says stuff like that all the time to her kids, and they do eat it up. She tells me it keeps her from becoming grumpy and loosing her patience. I can see that, but I still couldn't do her job. :)

The Heinrichs said...

We love Kindermusik! We started this week too!!! Wish we lived closer so we could take the class together!

I know what you mean about working. I started back Wed and I am exhausted and I only worked a day a a half! If only we could grow a money tree in the back yard!!!

Miss you guys!

erin said...

Hey Emily! I'm glad you are liking your job. That is great to hear. Marlie and I just did a class like that where they sing all of the directions. Cute and she loved it, but I thought the same thing... man I could never teach that class.

Mrs. Nicole Gilbert said...

What a great visual of “singing about a dog while rolling on the floor.” Just to clarify, are YOU rolling on the floor, or Samuel?

Kindergarteners are their own breed (no pun intended)! I was doing a lesson this week and was asking what words describe a bully and one kiddo raised his hand and said "a bully is someone who gives you wedgies." How do you respond to THAT with a straight face??

Johnsons said...

I need to get my Samuel fix! That class sounds like fun! You look gorgeous in that picture too!

Anonymous said...

I totally understand the preschool teachers. Cole's teacher seems way over the top for me, but she relates so well to a room of 3 year olds! And those pics of your brother's wedding are awesome! They are impromptu and fun-- very beautiful. Hope to see you soon!
Jennifer Reeder

Kimberly Geswein said...

Ha! I subbed for a first grade class TWO days in a row this winter. NEVER EVER EVER again. I nearly didn't survive. I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old, no need to immerse myself in a whole room of the little creatures!