Seeing Jimmy off at the airport yesterday was one of toughest moments thus far. I decided to ride to the airport for a little more time with him and also because we were worried his suitcase was over the weight limit (48.7 lbs- we cut it close!). I'm sure Jimmy would want me to clarify that all of his clothes fit in his little carry on :). His suitcase was filled some of Samuel's toys, books and clothes he's outgrown hoping to make our return trip easier. So Samuel and I went in to the airport and waited while Jimmy checked in. We were SO close to airplanes that were headed to the US. You know that excited feeling you get at an airport because you're going to travel some place? I had it, but it wasn't my turn yet to get on the plane! It was a tearful good-bye, but we are so hoping the next time we see each other we are ALL going to be going home.
I have had so much wonderful support and encouraging words from you guys at home. So many of you praying for us- we are so thankful. The thought has crossed my mind a couple of times "Lord, so many prayers, why aren't we home yet??" Then I'm reminded that prayer is for us- strengthens our faith in God and reminds me that in praying, I'm also surrending my prayers to His will and His timing. So whether I come home in 3 weeks or 3 months, He is in control and the timing will be perfect. After all, we chose for me to come down here. I didn't have to come down in March! I asked Jimmy this week if he regretted me coming down and we both agreed that we don't. We thought through what we we were "getting ourselves into" and even on hard days, it is so worth it. So the word of the day for me is "surrender"- to His timing and what He has in store for us (although that hasn't kept me from telling God how much I want to see the leaves changing before they fall off or how cute Samuel would look in a Halloween costume or how much I'd like to get home and plan a wedding shower for my brother's fiancee or how I'd love to start looking for a part-time job to ease the finances!).
After surviving a Samuel bedtime screamfest (they are rare- I promise!) and a moment of "God, I'm overwhelmed and can't do this!", I again surrendered my anxieties and asked for God's perspective to be my perspective. I went to bed much more at peace than I had been all afternoon.
No big plans for the weekend besides going to the Independence Day parades. They are already celebrating. Yesterday on the way to the airport we passed groups of high school kids running on the side of the highway carrying torches. There were buses going slowly next to them and kids took turns running and carrying the torch. Interesting! All I could think was how this would not happen in the States- no school would want the liability of the kids running with fire, much less along a major highway! I can just envision trying to get approval for that kind of field trip- it would never happen!
Thanks again for the support and prayers! Please keep praying for all of these Guatemalan children. There are so many other families who are still having major challenges getting their babies home and other orphan children who will not be able to be adopted. The future for these orphans is pretty bleak!
17 comments:
Em,
Thanks for sharing what God is teaching...it gave me lots to think about. I type with tears as I miss you and know that it was hard to say goodbye to Jimmy. But, you are so right, God has it all under control and is right there with you and here with Jimmy. Just keep in mind, you have an awesome God Glory story to tell Samuel as he grows!
Love you,
Parker
ps. maybe we should try that fire thing!!! Could make for interesting days at the ole school house! :)
Hey Em,
I'm so proud of you for running the race that God has set before you! You are truly running to get the prize! I know yesterday had to be one of the hardest moments... being so close to going home yet feeling helpless. I know that God is so proud of you for continuing to be faithful and still praising him in this moment! He is smiling just thinking about the AMAZNG things he has for you just around the corner!
Love you!
emily, I just want to reach through the computer and give you a big hug. I thought about you alot yesterday, thinking how hard that had to be. you are a great example of trusting God and his clock. thanks also for being real with us. lisa
Emily-
You will make it through this race and finish strong. You show us this each time you blog and reveal what God is teaching you. I just wanted to let you know that the Wednesday morning Bible Study girls are praying for you and LeAnne and all the other adopting familes. Vanessa picked up your book for the study and when Amie (I think) shared with Stephanie that you are hoping to join us when you are home this year she was ecstatic and said she can't wait to grab you and give you a hug!! (Steph is Ally Masseys friend who also adopted from China with them) Anyway, just know we are all praying for everyone to be home with the children soon! Take care-Nicole
Thanks for sharing, Em. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to say goodbye to your husband time and again. At least you have the peace of knowing you're right where God wants you. To be honest, I feel worst for Jimmy...no wife AND no son. Bummer. We're praying for your quick homecoming, and we can's wait to meet your little man. Love you!
Angie
You should be a writer.
I'm crying.
I love you a lot.
Tiffany
You will be home soon! I know it!
Love You.
BTW I am so proud to have contributed to the "family pic" :)
Love,
E2
Emily,
Just this week at church our pastor talked about how prayer isn't for us to ask things of God but rather for us to be in communion and relationship with Him! This is something most readily learned when we go through trials, pray, and have our prayers not answered the way we would like. I truly believe it's a choice to remain faithful and trust God when He's not working things in our timing or answering prayers the way we want them answered. Not everyone is able to say with the faith that you do that He's still worthy of your praise. Thanks for sharing.
Love and prayers!
Nicole
Emily,
I know God helps us trust Him a little more each time we know we have no control over things in our lives. It is difficult to lean on Him when we are in these situations, but He is trustworthy. You are blessed to know this at your age, some of us took much longer to learn to trust Him. He will never leave you or forsake you.
Love,
Mary
Emily,
Hey, I was thinking about you yesterday and hoped that you all were doing okay. Gosh, you're brave...I think if I were that close to an airplane headed home, I just might have jumped on with Samuel and then prayed for mercy!!! Glad we aren't having to bail you out of jail. :) I miss you and I know that you will be home in due time, I'm still sending out an invite for Samuel to come to Abbi's party. What a great time it will be to see our kids playing together. Thank you for being so open and honest, you are a brave, strong woman whom I greatly admire!
Love you!
Janelle
PS Blue Springs beat Rockhurst today 28-21 in overtime!!! :) Oak Grove is also undefeated!
I can't imagine how hard it was to say goodbye to Jimmy! He walks alongside us, even in those moments when we feel so alone and empty and "finished" with our current circumstances. Hopefully your countdown is nearing the end!
Clarification- He being our Heavenly Father, not Jimmy. :) Although I'm sure in spirit, Jimmy is walking alongside you ;).
It won't be much longer!!! :) They will ALL be home soon! :)
Felicia
Emily,
You rock! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings and God moments. I am praying for you all, I too really want you to see the leaves change and put up all your pumpkins at home with your family (then I will feel at peace! hehe)
Miss you lots
Katie
Hey Emily, praying that you get to go home soon! I can't imagine being there for as long as you have been there... Everyone kept telling me to enjoy being there, that I would miss it, NOT YET!!! I am glad I was able to be there with my girls, but there's nothing like being home with them! You'll be there soon enough!
Thinking of all of you in Casa#5!
Emmy,
You are amazing and you serve an amazing God. You have taught us old people a lot about relying on God as you've go through this hard time. We should all be so faithful!!
Talked to Kyle last p.m. and she said they went home last Sat. and looked through all the toys again. Samuel is in for fun times w/Grandma & Grandpa! :)
missing you all and praying for you guys constantly....
Post a Comment