Wednesday, May 26, 2010

One tiny princess

So Jimmy flew home from Florida on Saturday and Samuel and I stayed until Tuesday. Monday afternoon I got a call from Children's Division. This is our 7th call. It was the 3rd we received while on vacation. This call was for a newborn baby girl. I was excited- it was only the second call of the seven that was for just one child. So we said yes. And my valiant husband picked her up from the hospital and made it through the first night. He got a quick swaddling and burping lesson from my friend Amie!

She is precious and so tiny! Besides being sleep deprived from being up with her at night, today was a good day. Samuel loves her, but is constantly in her face. We were at CVS today and a man commented on her being cute to which Samuel replied "HE my brother." I didn't want to correct him on how he was wrong on two accounts!

I've had a couple of people ask me how long she'll be with us or if we'll adopt her. I appreciate the interest, but the questions make me realize how much misunderstanding there is about the foster care system. The goal is almost always reunification with the parents. The initial paperwork has a guess as to how long the child will be in care, but no one really knows at first. It all has to do with what the parent/s have to do and how quickly they do (or don't!) it. Most children are reunified with their parents, although many are placed in foster care again at a later date.

With our current case, we don't know how long she'll be with us, but after meeting her parents today and learning more about her situation, it seems like she will be reuinified before too long. I can already say that my heart will hurt when she has to go! I was praying for her today and had to say out loud "God, You are Sovereign. You knit this tiny girl together and knew the situation she was being born into and You will go with her when she leaves my house. You are in control." Day 1 and my stomach is already hurting!

One of the neatest parts about doing this has been the incredible support we've received from people around us- thank you! Just in the last 48 hours, the William's helped Jimmy get this little one settled in while I was still in Florida, my friend Aimee watched her during the day so Jimmy didn't have to miss work and my mom watched her in the evening. Then another friend lent and delivered a baby swing, bouncer, carseat and clothes to our house! I catch myself feeling badly about asking for and receiving so many favors, but I'm SO thankful for the blessing of our sweet friends, family and church.

2 comments:

The Heinrichs said...

Awh..I love what you are doing! You guys have amazing hearts!!! I can not even comprehend how hard it is knowing some of these children are going back to not so great of situations. Today Auri was bullied by some kid at the playground who kept telling her how he would give her one more chance and then he would say he had to pick her up shake her and tell her she was bad...at first I was so mad and told Auri not to go around him...but later in the day I had to revisit the situation and explain to her it was not his fault that he handled situations that way and that his mommy and daddy should never do that to him. If only everyone could love and care for there kids like we do!!!

Johnsons said...

You brought me very close to tears in your post. I think you guys are amazing for doing this, and each child is very lucky to have any amount of time with you!