Yesterday evening we joined some of our new neighbors along with a couple of other adoptive moms for an outing to the swings at Hotel Antigua. Five of us paraded up there with our jogging strollers. One jogging stroller draws attention in Antigua, but FIVE was an event. When we got to the swings, we had a parking lot of strollers! There was a little Guatemalan boy counting us! In true rainy season tradition, it started to rain and we relocated to the indoor playground at Pollo Campero where another mom joined us (jogging stroller #6). The staff at Pollo Campero wasn't sure what to do with us!
Another unique Guatemalan moment.... yesterday I went to the market to buy papaya. Samuel and I got there and they had two huge stages set up in the main market area and music was blasting. We gave up the papaya search (too many people to navigate through with the stroller) and came home. The guard at the gate informed me it is the annual taxi driver celebration. They have music and dancing for the day/night. We live close enough to the market that we were fortunate enough to hear the music (and of course, fireworks) all day and night! I think they sang "Rolling on the River" at least five times, except it sounded like "Rol-een on de Reee-vah". These are the funny things about Guatemala that I hope I don't forget! Have a good weekend :)!
10 comments:
This was so funny! I can just see the attention you were getting! AND "Rol-een on de Reee-vah" is one of my favorite songs! :) Too funny!
emily, I caught up with your blog. we've been out of town. we have Bella until next thursday. so far so good. we haven't given her any ice cream or oreos! glad you're keeping a record of those funny moments and also keeping your sense of humor. Who would have thought; a taxi driver celbration! love seeing all the new pics too.i still have your pic in the kitchen and pray for you guys as I see it.
I know vanessa is anxious for you to get back too. thanks for commenting on kev's blog. i know he appreciates it. have a great day. tell leeanne hi for me today.
lisa
Hotel Antigua got a trampoline?!
Em,
That is too funny! I'm sure you won't forget those moments, each time you hear the song back home, you'll quickly go back to that place. :) Thanks for sharing! Miss you!
Janelle
Hey! I meant to comment on your last post. I'm soo glad you finally moved onto the next stage of the adoption! Oh, and I loved hearing about your parade of strollers! And I hope you, Jimmy, and Samuel had a great time together.
I miss you a lot!
-Brandi
Pollo Campero is delicious! I have definitely been there! That is so funny about the Reee-vah song!
-Brooke Dye
OK - I have been reading since you began and now want to write. I have also fallen in love with Samuel! I'm so happy about PGN. I love reading about your Guatemalan experiences. As always thinking good thoughts for you, julie
Hey Emily,
So sorry that Todd and I missed the taxi celebration. Maybe they will have a chicken bus celebration when we visit the next time :)
We are so thrilled that you are officially into the PGN. That is wonderful news!!!
Nicole
Em,
Samuel is the cutest little guy. You and Jimmy look so happy. We are very happy for you. We can't wait to see you again. By the way, nothing is better than a diaper delivery. I am sure it felt like Christmas!
That last comment is from me Amanda :) I am just learning how to comment on a blog.
Post a Comment