Monday, May 12, 2008

8 weeks



So as of tomorrow, I've been here 8 weeks! Eight weeks full of getting to know Samuel, speaking Spanish, learning "mom" stuff, figuring out which sidewalks have the least amount of potholes and uneven cobblestone, finding which market stand sells the cheapest wipes, and learning how to navigate the grocery store without a meltdown. It has definitely been a life change!
Overall, I am loving my time here. However, I have to admit that when Jimmy left Sunday morning, my stomach was churning and for the first time, all I could think was "I want to go home!!" Of course I've been missing people the whole time, but Sunday I just wanted to say "adios" to Antigua and be home where things are comfortable and familiar. To distract myself from being sad because of Jimmy's departure, I went to brunch and swimming on Sunday with some other moms. Today, I finally broke down and joined "Gym Antigua". I was starting to feel gross and so I think I have it arranged that I'll be able to work out on the mornings the babysitter is here. For me it is an escape and I'm thankful to not have to attempt running on the cobblestone anymore!

We haven't heard anymore about our case. One of my friends here received a call on Friday requesting her to bring her son to Guat. City for the second birth mother interview. This is the step that the new leaders of PGN are requiring. She went in today and after 7 hours of waiting, her facilitators told her it went well (as in, the birthmother still said that she wanted to give the boy for adoption), but that there was no other news. We here rumors down here a lot- from everyone's agencies, blogs, etc. I find that it is easier to steer clear of these conversations for the most part because we just don't know what to believe. I've emailed our agency and our facilitators here in Guatemala and haven't heard anything yet about our specific case. Our family court/social worker report (results of the birth mother interview) was supposed to have been done last Monday (5/5), but who knows! With everything else going on, I'm not surprised that we haven't heard from them about this report yet. As soon as that report is done, we are ready to enter PGN. We have heard that they are still accepting cases to be submitted to PGN and hope this is true.
Here are a few more pics from our week with Jimmy:
This is from Lake Atitlan- so pretty!
Another "don't pee here" sign found in Panajachel (the town by Lake Atitlan). This one even threatens a fine! I wonder who enforces that rule?

Another view of the lake...
Back in Antigua- we ate at a "restaurante tipico" that served Guatemalan food. We ordered appetizers so we could try several things: guacamole (I know, I real stretch), tamales and pupusa. Deliciosa...

Samuel loves plants and dirt- all boy. Today I had him on a blanket in the grass. He was playing so contentedly. I went in the bedroom to brush my teeth and I hear Lee Anne calmly saying "Emily, can you come here for a second?" I walk out to see Samuel spitting up on Lee Anne as she tries to get a big piece of grass out of his mouth. He had swallowed a good size piece and was gagging. I know- bad mom moment for me :). Lee Anne wins "friend of the year" for choosing to get puked on and then helped me clean it up too!

13 comments:

Greg and Felicia Huff said...

I'm hoping we'll hear that cases are going to start coming out again. I'm praying constantly. I pray this "bump" in the road will be over soon! Samuel is getting more precious with each picture! How handsome is he! It is now less than a month and I'll be in with Eduany! I can't wait!Felicia

Chris and Lindsey Wheeler said...

How fun...."Gym Antigua"!! That made me smile tonight.....I sent you two e-mails!!! Let me know what you think. Praying for your case!

-Lindsey

Anonymous said...

Hi Em,
I think of you often and pray for you each time you come to mind.
Great pics. What a cute little man you have!

Anonymous said...

Aww, those pics of Samuel are super cute. I am still praying for you guys, and now more specicfic things, for the government to stop getting in your way- for Jesus to give them wisdom, even if they don't know Him. But, Job 42:2, no plan of His can be thwarted. So hang in there. I love you guys.

Mrs. Nicole Gilbert said...

Is it seriously called "Gym Antigua"? I miss you at 24 Hour:) Enjoy that time, it will be good for you to be doing something that you are used to doing back here at home! Praying for you guys!

Nicole

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't been on in awhile but I have been thinking and praying for you all the same. Man I feel like I have missed so much! Your family photos are beautiful!!! Those will be things you will cherish forever! It looks like you had a wonderful time with Jimmy! Oh man I was cracking up when you said you were going to the gym. You are so cute!
Love you all!
~Aimee~

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say happy first Mother's Day!!!! Aww that is so exciting!!!!!
~Aimee~

Renee said...

Hi Em,
I have been thinking of you a lot as I knew Jimmy was heading home. Felicia thinks she'll lighten your mood when she arrives! (and I'm sure she will :)) Your family photos are so beautiful - love seeing that handsome guy - no, not Jimmy....Samuel!! :) Take care...my prayers are with you for the next step in your journey home with Samuel.
Love, Renee

Anonymous said...

Samuel is getting huge! He looked so cute investigating the plant! ha! I also loved your family photos.
I'm constantly praying for you guys. I'm sure everything will turnout ok.
-Brandi

The M. Herndon Family said...

Can't believe you've been there 8 weeks! We so enjoyed spending time with you in Antigua. Praying for your case and the whole crazy PGN situation.

Anonymous said...

Que preciosas las fotos....lucen una linda familia, Samuel está muy bonito tiene una cara muy tierna y feliz. Continuamos orando a Dios por ustedes y la linda experiencia que está viviendo como papás.

Un beso y abrazo, Adri y Erick

Anonymous said...

We want you back here just as much as you, and probably more!
The plant story was funny! And the picture is SOO cute!
love,
Tiffany

Anonymous said...

I'm completely cracking up at the picture of the "no peeing" sign... only because where we live (Tianjin, China) everywhere we turn there are kids outside here in split pants peeing (or pooping!) on the sidewalk). We avoid puddles!