Jimmy ensured I got to do lots of little things that he knows are now BIG things since we have three kids. I slept in for 30 minutes (it could have been longer, but my brain wouldn't shut off). I went to the bathroom alone and showered without having to holler out the shower door "Quit taking toys from your brother!" I skipped church and packed/cleaned alone (which I enjoyed!). Love my family, but once in awhile some solitude is refreshing. I got a quick pedicure and then everyone was home. Jimmy and Sammy cleaned my car- huge act of love! The boys and C and got me flowers. We packed more and are in good shape for moving. We had dinner with my parents, brother and grandparents. I am tired, but so incredibly grateful.
Funny moment from the day included Sammy chatting on to my dad and grandparents about how he has two dads and two moms because he has biological parents and us. He has been telling lots of random people this lately. I was a little worried my family wouldn't know how to respond, but I was in the other room, so I just listened. Thankfully my dad's response was great "Isn't it how cool how many people love you?" I am hoping that the openness with which he discusses this is an indication of his security with the topic. :)
Another sweet moment included Sammy and then C doing "performances" for us at my parents' house. She taught Sammy part of the song "We are" from Ice Age. I know that in no way can we replace or fully be her family, but we are thankful for privilege to be her support. She told me she learned the lyrics to the song to sing today. Maybe I'm being over emotional, but I think she has moments of really understanding that we try our best to support her without threatening who she is or her ties to her family. At least for today, she seems to get and appreciate it, and that is awesome! We'll mark this day down as a foster parenting HIGH.
Here are the lyrics:
We are, we are
Not your ordinary family
But we can all agree that
We are, we are
Close as close can be
So it don't matter what it looks like
We look perfect to me
We got every kind of lover
We're so lucky indeed
They can keep on talking
It don't matter to me cause
We are, we are family
2 comments:
Sounds like a wonderful day Emmy! Your children are all priceless, love hearing good stories it gave me goosebumps about silly sam and C.....have a great day!
Emily, it sounds like you had a wonderful day! I loved reading this post! =)
Post a Comment