Thursday, August 9, 2012

Court

We head back to court tomorrow. I am nervous, although I know that C will stay with us for now. This is basically a "case review". They will set another court date for three months down the road and unless a family member pushes for custody sooner, C will be here. Court still makes me nervous because it can be intimidating and awkward. It is also frustrating because as a foster parent, I feel like I have little control. Not just "feel like", it's the reality. There are so many people involved- therapists, case workers, GAL, judge, parent aid- and they all get input into the case. I, however, do not. There is an optional foster parent form you can fill out to submit to court and that is about it.

In all of our training, we learned that the family is always given preference and that reunification is the goal. At first I was bothered by how many chances the court gives to the families of children in foster care, but I understand it. To take away parental rights is a HUGE deal and the court has to be darn sure that termination of parental rights is in the best interest of the child. I think that too many chances are given, but I understand that kids love their parents- regardless of what they have been through- just because they are their parents. It is just hard to cheer lead the parents/family sometimes.

So, I'm having a week of not being able to "let go and let God" with all of this. Some days, we are just family. I can go a few days without thinking about court, case workers, etc., and just enjoy hearing my boys and C laugh (or hearing my boys annoy C, which is more likely the case!). Then there are weeks like this when it seems full of appointments and unknowns and I am consumed. Thankfully school starts next week for C and my classes the week after, so the return to routine will be good and a good distraction!

No comments: