Monday, January 24, 2011

Most Bizarre Date Night Yet....

So last fall my cousin told me about this Ghost and Gangsters Tour in KC. I read about it and it supposedly included KC history, mafia history and some legends/myths of "haunted" places. When it popped up as 1/2 price on Groupon, we got tickets thinking it would be a "different" date night idea. I had no idea how different we were talking!

The tour met at The Edge of Hell (a well known KC haunted house, as the tour is run by the people who own it). That should have been clue #1. If you're familiar with the haunted house district in KC, it isn't in the best area. Jimmy asked me if we should worry about our car still being there after the tour since it was just our car and one other on a deserted street. The "tour" ended up being us and the Johnson's (who I had talked into going with us). Pretty sure they lost money on us! We rode the "Ghoul Bus" for the tour, with our tour guide dressed up like a ghost. He used an "ichapod" (IPOD) to narrate the tour and then interrupted with his own stories. It was quickly obvious that this tour was a lot more about ghosts/hauntings/"orbs" (didn't know what that was pre-tour) than just KC and mafia history!

It was fun to go through the various parts of town and learn some history... I could have lived without his creepy ghost stories that the tour guide was so passionate about. Apparently they are working on a tour that would be more history/mafia and less ghosts- I would recommend that part- the ghost stuff, not so much. We were amused that the story of Bob Berdella made the tour (it's a long story, but my brother's house includes half of his house's plot of land after the house was leveled). The "Boss Tom" stories of KC mafia were interesting, too. We also learned about Sauer castle (see below). It was really random, but the house is gorgeous (even rundown!).

So with that review, anyone intrigued enough to go? I have two additional tickets that I'll give away if anyone's interested? I can promise that you have probably never had a date night like it! The tours run Friday and Saturday evenings....

3 comments:

Mrs. Nicole Gilbert said...

Ok this is a totally random post! I was checking here to see a prego pic and I am left wondering if your blog got hijacked!!! I hope you are well!! Just a few days in the countdown, right?!

Jenn Beyer Talton said...

just for the record...we left from union station and there were no mention of ghosts on the tour! Definitely more mob/history oriented when I went! And our tour guide was dressed as a mobster...not a ghost!

Johnsons said...

It was an unforgettable night!