Monday, November 8, 2010

Happy Homecoming Day!



I'm a day late, but yesterday marked our second anniversary of coming home from Guatemala with Samuel! It was fitting that Jimmy returned home from Guatemala on Saturday. From the stories I've heard so far, sounds like it was a great trip! We didn't do the best job of celebrating Samuel's "gotcha" or "homecoming" day. Our intent was to read his adoption story book and do something as a fam. We didn't get the book read, but it was a good day. He did proudly wear the "Guatever" t-shirt that Jimmy brought home for him. The other day he said to me unprompted "I'm your son. You're my mommy." I said "Yes, that's right." And this time of year I think I'll always appreciate that fact even more. I also find myself thinking about his birth mom more around this time, praying for her, thanking God for her. I wonder if she thinks of Samuel and how she is doing.

When I reflect on two years ago, now I can see how much Samuel has changed our lives. Not just the obvious stuff like the JOY of having him, the parenting, the change of schedule, etc., but in the passion for orphans, for Guatemala and for trying to live more simply (still have a ways to go there...). Since saying "Ok, God, let's go!" with the adoption, it seems like He has continued to put more faith challenges in our path. I am thankful for Samuel and our adoption experience for challenging us to live with bigger faith. I have to say it's been the best, most satisfying two year period in my walk with the Lord and in my marriage.

One last thing....
We are in the final week before the fundraiser for Kairos- the school in Guatemala. It's a week from Friday (the 19th!). I feel like everyone who knows us is going to be ready for us to stop asking for help/participation with all things Guatemala! I promise we will back off after the 19th! Our last day to sell tickets is this Sunday and we've honestly sold less than what we'd hoped for at this point, so we're hoping for a last minute surge in sales! Want to come? :)

Happy Monday... what's left of it!

1 comment:

The Busters said...

I love this post! I've thought a lot about how our adoption journey has challenged me to think more deeply about my faith and to live simply. So grateful for all those things!