Saturday, November 8, 2008

We're home!


We are HOME.

I've sat here for awhile trying to put into words how incredible the past two days have been, but I'm not sure I can express it very well. I still have a lot to process. Our trip home was incredibly smooth. I was still nervous that something would go wrong. When our plane took off from Guatemala, I relaxed a bit. When there were NO lines for immigration or customs in Atlanta, I relaxed even more. The immigration guy who had to process Samuel's paperwork was very kind and worked quickly. We had just under a 2 hour layover in Atlanta and we made it to our gate with almost 45 minutes to kill. When we took off to KC, I could feel tension draining from my shoulders. I think it has been there for 8 months!

We had an amazing welcoming crew at the airport in KC. Thank you so much to all who were there! I was a bit overwhelmed and I think I missed hugging a few people! Samuel responded really well and let others hold him without fussing. Thanks to Mr. Kenny Wilson, we have some airport pictures!

Welcoming crew

Samuel meets his great-grandpa, Papa Jack

Samuel meets Grandma Mary and Aunt Heather

Samuel and Gramma Beyer

Still smiley at 10 PM!



Jimmy's nieces came in from St. Louis to greet us!


Have I said before how thankful we are for the support of Gateway Church? These lovely ladies were a few of the people from our church family who came to the airport. You guys are such a blessing! I have a whole new appreciation for the support of our church!
Our first day was spent at home just hanging out. Samuel is doing well except for the napping part. I have some cute pics of him hanging out with his cousins and family and also his first coat and carseat ride. I'll post more pictures once we're more settled. I have five suitcases of stuff just waiting to be unpacked! I haven't made it to Target yet, but did go to the grocery store. I didn't bump into anyone or anything (unlike in Bodegona!), but it was a little overwhelming!
Thanks again for all of the support! It is sooo good to be home!!

16 comments:

Deb said...

Hooray! God is good!

Anonymous said...

Em,
WELCOME HOME!!! We are so excited to see that you all made it back and we can't wait to get together! Talk/see you soon!! :)

Janelle

Anonymous said...

yay!! I'm so glad you made it home safely. Can't wait until you post more pictures. I'm very excited to meet Samuel and see you soon!!
Brandi

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting, I've been thinking and thinking about you!!

Camino

Katie said...

I love this!!! I read Felicia's post yesterday and just cried! Can you even believe that you're home?? It's been almost a year and a half and I still can't fathom what happened! Can't wait to see you guys over Thanksgiving! Btw: you need to take a pic of yourself at Target for me. Nothing would make me happier...

Greg and Felicia Huff said...

What an incredible night!!! I still get all emotional thinking about it!!! So glad you are all home!!! See you school this week???

Felicia

Pat and Lee Anne said...

It's so good to see your pictures! Your smile says it all! What an incredible time for you and Jimmy. Glad it was a smooth trip. Erick has been OK, but some fussiness is kicking in and I think it's lonliness! It'll be great to hang out again SOON! Love, LA & Erick

Chris and Lindsey Wheeler said...

I AM SO EXCITED FOR Y'ALL!!!! Samuelito is HOME!!!!! Wasn't that first trip to the grocery store surreal??!! Praying for your Emily.....and for the transition.

Love,
Lindsey

Mrs. Nicole Gilbert said...

I just met this little guy and he is the sweetest child. Their journey to become a family makes it all the sweeter. We are so glad to have them home.

Welcome home, Samuel!!
We love you guys,
The Gilbert's

erin said...

YAY! Welcome home Emily and Samuel. I am welling up just thinking of the three of you finally at home together. God is so faithful!

Anonymous said...

This post just made me cry. You're HOME!!! I wish I could have met you at the airport. (I left a message on your phone on Saturday...but I'm not sure it still works!)
Have fun getting settled. Can't wait to meet Samuel soon.

Much love, Jenna

Anonymous said...

That post made me cry. I'm so happy for you and Jimmy and I wish we could have been at the airport, too. We love you!

Angie

Mary Ludwig said...

Welcome home! It was so great to see you & Samuel at church on Sunday!

Anonymous said...

it was so good t see you at church. I checked this sat but I guess missed it. I love the pics of the airport. I just couldn't help looking over at you during church! He is one blessed little guy! thanks for answering that call and bringing him home. can't wait for you to hang out here with bella and vaness in the pool this summer.

The Thurn Family said...

Armstrong's,
I didn't get a chance to get to you yesterday at church but know that we are sooooo excited for the 3 of you. Thanks for sharing your "God story" with us with your blog. Enjoy your time together.
Love, The Thurns :)

Adriana said...

Familia Armstrong,

Que alegria y emoción que ya estén juntos en KC, la sonrisa de ustedes lo dicen todo que están super felices!!!
Gracias a Dios que escucho todas las oraciones de nosotros.

Un abrazo de Costa Rica