Monday, November 10, 2008

More of HOME...

Here are some more pictures from our trip home and the first weekend in KC. Thanks to Aunt Blair for some more airport pics!


Samuel checks out our plane in the Guatemalan airport.



Samuel looks sleepy in Atlanta


In KC- I am so excited to be home!

My parents with Cindi Embrey (who has been home over a month now!) in the airport on Friday

Samuel checks out his new room (complete with the sign made by Daddy)
It was like Christmas- Samuel had lots of new toys waiting for him Saturday morning!

Samuel poses by one of the signs that were waiting in our yard. Thanks to my fam, Renee and the BSHS kids who made them! We felt very welcomed!

Grandma Mary, Samuel and Cousin Ian

Sunday morning brunch with the Armstrong/Nolting fam. Samuel had a lot of fun playing with his cousins!

Yes, I finally made it to Target today! Woohoo! I took my camera like a true dork, but unfortunately Samuel was not as excited as I was for his first Target trip. See the pic below....
Needless to say, he slept in the car with Gramma Beyer and I shopped alone! He'll have to experience Target next time :).
It's been a good and busy first few days at home. We spent time with family this weekend and went to church on Sunday. It was such a blessing to finally see so many people from Gateway who have been praying for us and encouraging us home. Thank you!!
Today my mom took the day off to help me unpack. I had five suitcases full of stuff to organize. I remember reading Katie Mohr's blog about coming home and realizing how much "stuff" she had. It is SO true! I have been a bit embarrassed or disgusted by how much "stuff" we have. After living 8 months with a limited wardrobe and with just one room that was really "mine", to come home to cabinents, drawers, closets FULL of stuff- it is overwhelming. I admit I'm not complaining about seeing more of my wardrobe :), but after living more "simply" and among so many people in poverty, I am very convicted that I need to simplify things here. I mean, really, do I need half of the stuff I have? I cleaned out some bags of winter clothes today to give away, but have a ways to go. Jimmy said he's glad I'm doing it now, because he's afraid if I wait, I'll fall back into being comfortable and forget or become numb to what I've learned and seen in Guatemala. Oh, please Lord, don't let that happen! I want to not forget the faces and people who struggle to just survive in Guatemala. I want their faces to motivate me to help those who are struggling around me in my country!
Tomorrow is another day of cleaning out the house with my mom and we're also going to visit Samuel's great-grandparents! Tomorrow night is the big NKOTB concert/girls night out :). We'll see if I can make it up past 9:30 PM! This Saturday I'm helping throw a bridal shower for Blair, my sister-in-law-to-be. I was starting to worry we wouldn't make it back, so it is a blessing to be home for this celebration. Sunday is Samuel's Open House- feel free to come by from 1-4 PM to visit!

11 comments:

Pat and Lee Anne said...

Once again, GREAT pictures! He still got home in time for a few fall leaves to be in the yard :) Lee Anne

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know I haven't got to see you yet, but know that we are thrilled you all are back! I think that the pic of you at the airport with Samuel is priceless! You can see the relief just falling from your shoulders seeing your family. :) I'm glad to see that Samuel isn't phased by having to be in a car seat, kids are so much tougher than we give them credit for. Enjoy unpacking and getting rid of the extras.

I look forward to seeing you soon and our kids getting to play with each other. Has it sunk in yet that you're home??? :) God is good!

Janelle

Chris and Lindsey Wheeler said...

I love the pics.....y'all are having a blast!!! NKOTB....I am so jealous! I have done the same thing with my "stuff" at home.....I am giving away so much stuff. Chris is a little concerned I am going crazy. There is just too much....and I don't need it. I don't want to forget either!!! Miss y'all.

T.R. said...

Hi, I've been following your blog for a while. Congratulations on making it home safe and sound. I went to the NKOTB concert and it was seriously better then when I was a teenager. Have fun!

Greg and Felicia Huff said...

Emily:
You will not forget, your heart is too loving for that to happen. We all have learned by following your journey and are blessed to see Guatemala through your eyes!

Felicia

AiMeE jOnEs ;) said...

It will be wierd not checking ur blog everyday. That is a good thing though! That picture of you and Samuel is amazing! I know I have said this like a million times....but I am so happy you and Samuel are home! It seems like just yesterday we were meeting at Einstein Brothers and you were telling me about adopting and we were filling out papers. God is so good!!!

Anonymous said...

Emmy & Nannie (or whatever your name is :-),
Thanks for letting me stop in on you yesterday! I know you have much work to do so I appreciated my one-on-one time a lot.
What a special little boy you have, but he has pretty special parents also! I was so happy to meet him. Enjoy your time.

Bill and Melodie said...

I have been home for over 2 months and I just finished unpacking a few things the other day. Glad you're home and getting back into the swing of life...

Linda said...

Congrats Armstrong family-
We have been back in Topeka now for just over a month. I had to share that I had the same feeling of all the "stuff" in our house when I got home too. Clean things out while you are still in that frame... you start getting used to all those "things" again. Soo.. glad you made it back safe and sound. If you are ever in Topeka would love to see ya.
Linda and Rosalia

Anonymous said...

I just can't keep myself from checking your blog and I'm glad I did. great pictures. His room is so cute. Vanessa said bella loved his big kid toys. I loved the picture of him asleep at Target. How could he? see you sunday.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home!!! I'm glad your trip went smoothly. I would love to get together when things settle down. We're still adjusting too :) I totally know what you mean about all the "stuff" we have here. I was really convicted after spending even two weeks in Vietnam and experiencing how others live.

Welcome Home!!! I'll stay in touch!