I've had several moments of culture shock this week. A few things that have caught my attention....
-I have fallen right back into texting, but today I used my debit card for the first time here and got all flustered at the little machine where you scan your card and sign. You don't see many of those in Guatemala.
-I've also found myself being really cautious with my wallet here- even when it probably isn't necessary! I guess that comes from so many of my mom friends in Guatemala getting robbed :).
-I think I'm recovering from the "black lung" acquired in Guatemala. I have a whole new appreciation for our country's emission standards!
-It is so easy to communicate here. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED getting to speak Spanish in Guatemala, but sometimes my head would hurt from the extra mental energy to translate. In the store today, I realized I didn't have to think about whether I should speak Spanish or English! I was in Nature's Pantry and the cashier said "Hi, guapo (good-looking)!" to Samuel and she really caught me off guard!
-I love our roads and sidewalks- they are so smooth and cobblestone free. However, they are not good for lulling Samuel to sleep. In Guatemala, I would stroll Samuel in the stroller and then he'd take naps in his stroller. I gave it a try here one day because he was so fussy, but no luck. I'm pretty sure it didn't work because his stroller wasn't bouncing over cobblestone.
In other adoption news....
Our friends the Embrey's found out that their daughter Caterin is OUT of PGN! The Heinrich's got the same news about their daughter, Auri, as did the Huff's for Otoniel. It's been a week of good news. Still praying for the Harris' son, Paulo, to get OUT of PGN and for them all to have quick RENAP runs!!
Speaking of news, you know that there isn't much going on in town when our adoption story is on the front page of the local Blue Springs Examiner! My *dear* cousin, Jamie, decided to contact the paper and share our story. A writer contacted me and asked some questions and today we were in the paper! He butchered some info (most obviously the spelling of Guatemala :)), but it was a nice article!
Below are a few pictures from this week- including the NKOTB concert! It was a fun show and we had great seats (thanks again, Amie!). I also just have to share this video clip even though Gramma Beyer will kill me. The things grandparents will do to entertain!
Samuel meets Luke
What I found in my bed when I got home from the concert... could Samuel be sleeping any closer to Jimmy!?
NKOTB about how I remembered them from 15 years ago!
8 comments:
It's very funny how the adjustment period is much different than you would have anticipated. It really took me a couple of months before I felt like this was my new normal. Of course, I just moved last weekend, so now we are adjusting to a new normal, but this transition is MUCH easier as we have already found our groove. Aeson also went through a clingy phase. The exact same situation in the bathroom, too! Yeah, privacy is GONE! Good luck and let me know if you want to chat. I'm pretty much always around! :) Missing you guys!
In a couple of weeks all of the adjustment stuff will be over. Things will be normal again and Samuel will realize this is "Home". I promise. :) Your mom is adorable!!! Kyle, if you read this... I had no idea you could dance so well!!!
Felicia
Emily- yes, privacy is unheard of as a Mom!! I'll be praying for you as you all adjust to being home. Samuel will probably feel at "home" once he sees Erick! Let me know if I can do anything to help you!
Wow..the front page! I love the story! Maybe Lee Anne and Erick can come for a sleep over when they get home just like old times! Your mom is too cute..she acts a lot like my mom with Auri over skype! Is this by chance her first grandchild?!?!?! Praying the Harris family get good news soon!
Hey Em, I hope you had a good visit at the high school today. I know everyone was really looking forward to seeing you and meeting Samuel. :) You and Samuel will be adjusted in no time. Enjoy this clingy stage, before long he'll be pushing you away wanting to do it all by himself! Talk with you soon.
Janelle
PS Tell your mom thanks for the entertainment! Oh the things these precious little ones can get us to do! :)
Each day when I sit down to my computer I think, "Oh I'll check Emily's blog" but then I realize oh I can just call her now! I'm so glad you're back and I've loved seeing you this week! I enjoyed the article and the video! Bella wants to invite Samuel over soon!
Hey Emily! I am so excited you are home and now have your family together EVERYDAY! What a blessing! Treasure every moment. I can't wait to meet little Samuel.
Amy McD
emily,
Just wanted to let you know I was so excited to hold samuel on sunday. I thought you had to be having some difficulty adjusting to life here. thanks for being open about that. I still remember not being able to go to the bathroom in privacy. Even if Icould close the dorr they were knocking on it or calling me! Sorry but that's not going to "adjust" keep us updated!
Post a Comment