Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Smiling Sammy




Samuel is just over four months old. Here are some pictures we took last night and this morning. The one in the towell is just after giving him a bath for the first time. We also learned during his bath that he has a little curl to his hair. After the pictures we realized that the funny look on his face was due to the fact that he was peeing all over the towell! The one in the red outfit is the cute Christmas outfit from Dona- thanks! The other two we included because you can see his sweet smile. He is quite smiley and we're enjoying seeing who can make him smile more. I'm winning so far (Jimmy might disagree!). Mom- note the outfit in the smiley pictures- it's the one you got for him!

This trip has already been a bit tougher because I just don't want to leave him. I told Jimmy that we can't come back to visit again unless I get to stay (or we're bringing him home!). We know Samuel is much better off with this foster mom than in an orphanage, so we thank the Lord for that! We are a bit concerned about his head- it is pretty flat. We expressed our concern to the staff down here and it looks like we might go see a doctor tomorrow. The foster mom said it was normal and would correct itself as he gets older. As first time parents, we're probably being overprotective, but it will be nice to know a doctor has checked him out. I'm hoping we can see how much he weighs. He is filling out his 3-6 month size clothes nicely.


We just got back from lunch at the mall attached to the hotel. Samuel slept the whole time in the baby sling (thanks, Carmen!). Being the only white, blond person in the mall is sort of awkward. Carrying a baby makes me stick out even more- like I have a sign on my head that says "I'm adopting!" Jimmy says not to worry, but due to all the mixed opinions in the press about adopting in Guatemala, I can't help but feel a bit uneasy.

Our big plans for the afternoon include hopefully taking advantage of the pool and maybe venturing to the more upscale mall across the street. We are enjoying not having an agenda and just hanging out with Samuel. Still can't believe this is all really happening and that one day he'll be home! God continues to amaze us with His provision, timing and blessing through this whole experience. That's all from here!

5 comments:

Peggy said...

Jimmy & Emy,

Sam looks soooooo HAPPY! I know you are thrilled to be with him and what better christmas gift could you ask for but that precious little boy. Let us know how the doctor's appt. goes. I'm sure its nothing to worry about but I do think its a good thing to check out. Keep the pictures coming, we love to see them. God truly has blessed you. (and Sam) Please give Sam a BIG kiss from us. We love you!
Uncle Lee & Aunt Peggy

Kyle said...

Jimmy and Emy,
Kisses and hugs to all of you!
We love you,
Dad and Mom

Emanuele said...

Don't worry about his head, Luke's head is flatter on one side because he likes to look that way all the time. Also, get used to people staring at you, it happens here too, people just love babies! Have fun with him, and tell him his friend Luke says hi!
Amie, Jeremy and Luke

Anonymous said...

Emily-
These pictures are adorable! The three of you look so happy-- what a great Christmas present!
He is adorable!

nathanartz said...

Hey you Three,
These pics are so cute. Samuel is so handsome. Looks like you all are having so much fun together. I am jealous of your weather. Glad his head is okay, clearly we will be holding him nonstop when he gets home and it will round right out!
Talk soon
Nathan, Katie, Grace and Sophia