Thursday, September 2, 2010

Long day at the Armstrong's

I thought that having an adopted son meant that I had dealt with some awkward questions from people. People who I think had good intentions, but who wondered about aspects of the adoption. I really don't mind the questions- I hope it's an opportunity to help educate and increase awareness about how amazing adoption is. I was not fully prepared for the awkward pregnant questions that have come my way. With all of the pregnant women on the planet, I thought people knew some general rules about what you do and don't say. I think now that I've probably violated some of what should be rules. So my apologies to any friends to whom I said "Oh, you are looking so cute and pregnant!" or to whom I have commented on their "cute little bellies." Harmless, right? Except when the belly is new and you are just getting used to having it stick out and it all feels awkward. So this week I've had comments like "Are you having twins?" Gulp. And "Wow, Mrs. Armstrong, your belly is looking big this week." Or my personal favorite "So how far along are you and how long do we have until you get crazy?" Maybe it is because I'm around a lot of students. Regardless, I vow to say less to pregnant people besides just "You look great."

So after work today I came home to find out my son had fallen at the park and had a huge gash on his head. I was assured he was fine (and he was already in bed). So when I went to check on him at 11 and noticed it was still bleeding under the bandaid, I was worried. Maybe Dr. Dad underestimated the situation? So I woke up Jimmy and Samuel and we took him to the ER. He had a small puncture wound in part of the cut that wouldn't stop bleeding. I don't recall the last time I was in an ER. Maybe elementary school? I thought we'd be in and out in an hour maybe. After 2.5-3 hours, of which 15 minutes or less was spent with a dr./nurse, we headed home with an expensive bandaid. The doctor said stiches would just make it worse and it would eventually stop bleeding. Nice. I think Jimmy was trying really hard to swallow the "I told you so", but being that it was 3:30 in the morning at this point, we were too tired to discuss. Thankfully Samuel slept in this morning so we did, too.



2 comments:

Kyle said...

Samuel certainly has two great parents! Love the pic of Sammy asleep on Jim's shoulders...Sammy looks so cared for and loved! He is one blessed little fellow...but then, we are so blessed by by him as well! Love him...and you both.

Katie said...

Annie had the exact same thing happen on Saturday night (except the gash was caused from Stephanie's tooth). I took her to the ER this morning after it wouldn't stop bleeding, and they doctor told me to get the over the counter skin adhesive next time. I'm with you...a very expensive band-aid.

Oh, and you look great pregnant!